Listen to the classic, Christmas organ piece at Lincoln Cathedral performed by the Cathedral's own Colin Walsh.
La Nativité du Seigneur (or the Birth of the Lord) is an early 20th century piece for organ by the French composer Olivier Messiaen. Hear it performed by Lincoln Cathedral's Organist Laureate, Colin Walsh, on the world famous 'Father Willis' organ, on the last Sunday before Christmas.
The moving and dramatic music take us through nine movements, each depicting an image or concept from the birth of Jesus:
- La vierge et l'enfant (The Virgin and Child)
- Les bergers (The Shepherds)
- Desseins éternels (Eternal designs)
- Le verbe (The Word)
- Les enfants de Dieu (The Children of God)
- Les anges (The Angels)
- Jésus accepte la souffrance (Jesus accepts suffering)
- Les mages (The Magi)
- Dieu parmi nous (God Among Us)